Saturday, October 15, 2011
Spanish Pork Rice
Guess what? I was contacted by Marx foods to compete in a recipe contest! It's just like Top Chef (sort of) and you all know how much i love Top Chef!
I received a box containing 6 different ingredients: Juniper Berries, Guajillo Chili Flakes, Dried Habanero Chili's, Lobster Mushrooms, and Mochi Rice.
I had to use two of these ingredients.
I decided to make a Spanish version of Okawa, a Japanese rice dish typically made with Mochi rice.
With lean Pork, Asparagus, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, and Green Beans, this dish is a perfectly balanced dinner for the whole family!
Gluten free, Soy free, Dairy free Spanish Pork Rice
1 lb. Pork Butt, fat trimmed and cubed
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbs Brown Rice Flour
1 tsp Sugar
1 Tbs Guajillo Chili Flakes
1 Red Bell Pepper, largely diced
2 Green Bell pepper, largely diced
1 Tbs Olive Oil
2 c. Mochi Rice
2 1/2 c Rice
1 c. Asparagus tops
1 c. Green Beans
1 c. Zucchini
1 c. Yellow Squash
1. Place asparagus, green beans, zucchini, and squash in a microwave safe bowl, add some water, cover, and cook in the microwave on high for 10 minutes. When done, strain off the water and set aside.
2. Place Mochi rice and water in rice cooker, and cook according to it's directions.
3. Toss pork with the salt, flour, chili flakes, and sugar in a large Ziploc baggie.
4. Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat with the olive oil. Brown the pork in the pan until it starts to caramelize. This should take about 7 minutes.
5. Add the bell pepper, and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
6. Add all of the other veggies and saute until all the veggies are tender and heated through. Turn off the heat.
7. Combine the rice and the veggie mixture and serve!