Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gluten-free Brioche and my solution to your breakfast problem

I recently read Jenna's list over at Eat, Live, Run, and was inspired to create my own.
So here is 20 things about me that you probably don't know. At least, I hope you don't know. Wait, do you know? Are you stalking me?!

Never mind.



Jillian's Get to Know Me List:
  1. I love to read, and have since I was 4.
  2. My favorite subject in school was history.
  3. I considered becoming a history teacher for a time.
  4. I sleep in shorts even during the dead of winter.
  5. I love to watch cop shows like Law and Order, SVU, and Law and Order: Criminal Intent.
  6. I have a huge crush on the actor Jeff Bridges and have since the first time I saw a Mirror has Two Faces. Seeing Tron and Tron: Legacy only strengthened the crush.
  7. I don't drive because it scares the life out of me. Maybe if I had a smart car and lived in a tiny town.
  8. I don't watch any sport or sport function on T.V.
  9. I love to spend entire afternoons buried in Barnes and Noble.
  10. I know you can't see it in the picture but I am actually 5'9. The tallest in my family. Woop. Woop.
  11. My favorite flowers are Peonies.
  12. I wish I had a smoker. I really want to make my own smoked sausage.
  13. I love to laugh, and to make other people laugh.
  14. I rarely ever text anyone on my cell phone.
  15. I love Disneyland. I have year passes, and the magic is never lost on me.
  16. I hate heights.
  17. Due to number 16 I hate roller coasters. Specifically open air, plunging death roller coasters.
  18. When I first read Little Women when I was 13, I thought Jo was the stupidest person on the planet. Who leaves Laurie like that?
  19. My favorite season is summer. I am truly a California girl.
  20. I love strawberries more than anything else!
Okay, that's all you get to know about me for now.


Around this time of year many people are traveling to see their families, this usually brings up the question: what on earth am I going to feed them?
Well, I gotcha back for breakfast.

Most gluten-free breads dry out rather quickly. They lose their texture and bounce. They get crumbly and gross. Except for one. One, glorious shining slice of bread that is firm yet has spring when touched, can handle any topping you can through at it, and tastes slightly sweet on the tongue.



Gluten-free Brioche. That's right. Ya heard me. Gluten-free brioche. A simple mix and let rise batter that makes two loaves. Great for family time. After tasting this bread, you may suddenly hear a tiny voice from the back room of your house.

"...french toast...'

What was that?! Again it comes. Stronger then the first.

"...french toast..."

Again and again. Like a mantra.

"French Toast! French Toast!"

They are calling for it like the fall of the Berlin Wall.

What do they want?!

"French Toast!"

When do they want it?!

"Now!'

Well my friends, give the people what they want. This bread makes the most luxuriant, luscious, completely "french" French Toast. And hey, if it's a brunch why not try a Monte Cristo sandwich. You might like it. I don't, but you might.



Gluten-free Brioche
Makes 2 loaves.

5 3/8 ounces Brown Rice Flour
14 ounces Tapioca Starch
200 grams Potato Starch
2 Tablespoon Granulated Yeast
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
2 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 Tablespoon Psyllium Husk
2 1/2 Cups Reduced Fat Milk
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Agave Nector
4 Large Eggs
1 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract

1. Whisk together the flour, starches, yeast, salt, gum, and psyllium husk in a large bowl.

2. Combine the milk, honey, agave, eggs, and oil in a seperate smaller bowl.

3.  Add the wet to the dry, and whisk until all the dry is incorporated. It will still have sizeable lumps, that's okay.

4. Sit in a warm spot, cover with a damp towel, and let rise for 3 hours.

5. Pour into two lined 9 x 5 x 3 inch Loaf pans and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Tessa Domestic Diva said...

Sounds yummy! I look forward to giving it a go...you're right, most gf bread does little for french toast!

Keep the Integrity of the Bean, 2009-present. Unauthorized use of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that credit is given to "Keep the Integrity of the Bean" with appropriate direction to the original content.