Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Shock and Awe

I have three, sometimes four baking days a week. On those days, I get up early, dress in my baking clothes, and spend all day in the kitchen. I try new recipes, work out recipe bugs, and stock up the kitchen and the freezers ( yes, I have more than 1).  So, anyhow, last wednesday I was focusing on figuring out a good pumpkin bread recipe and lemon poppyseed bread. The pumpkin bread is close but not quite how I want it to be, it's still too moist. The lemon poppyseed was a complete failure! Flat, not done in spots, and mushy. Yuck! So at the end of the night, I tossed the whole loaf into my half full trash can, finished the dishes, and went to relax, and watch my DVR.  Half-way thru "Make it or Break it", I hear my dog, Zander, rustling around in the kitchen. A little back history on Zander. He is a 4 year old Goldendoodle, which is  a purposeful mix between a golden retriever and a standard poodle. Now Zander is not allowed in the kitchen. Ever! There is a line that he is not to cross.




So, back to my story. I hear him rustling around his "Not-to-Cross" line. So sitting there I think, "hmmm. His Kong must be stuck and he's reaching to get it." I glance over my shoulder to make sure, and what do I find? I find my dog with his face and neck buried in my trash can! I run over shewing and yelling. He jumps back still chewing. When I look in the trash I see he wasn't scarfing down the chicken I had for dinner, he wasn't nibbling the potatoes I threw away, no. Instead he's chomped down half of my nasty Lemon Poppyseed bread!! I started busting up laughing. Zander has a bit of a baked good fetish, especially Gluten-Free baked goods. Normally he is a very good dog, but every now and then he just can't help himself. Haha.

This is actually not the recipe I was going to share with you today.I wanted to talk about the marvelous benefits of Flax. Especially flax wrapped in a deep dark chocolate  brownie. Oh yeah. Flax is an amazing source of Omega-3's, 2000mg per serving to be exact, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and fiber. It's a power food. Now about the brownie. It's a delicious, tender, slightly salty brownie. I love when you can get a brownie that convinces your subconcious that it's healthy. So here it is my own personal "Health" food.


Dark Chocolate Flax Brownies

Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Corn-Free

4 oz Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate, this is just pure chocolate, no sugar
1 oz semi-sweet allergen free chocolate chips
½ c. Spectrum Organic Shortening, cholesterol free
2 eggs, organic cage-free
½ c. rounded organic flax meal
¼ c. Brown rice flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp corn-free baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1 c. Brown Sugar
or
1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1/2 c. Splenda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment paper.

2. Using the microwave, melt the dark chocolate and shortening in a large measuring cup. Stir together to combine. Set aside.

3. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs till frothy. Add the brown sugar and beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the melted chocolate mixture into the egg-sugar mixture a little at a time- incorporate it slowly- and beat well for a good minute.

4. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: Flax, rice flour, salt, and baking soda; whisk together. Add the dry flour mix into the chocolate mixture and beat well for a minute, add the vanilla, mix for 30 seconds. Pour into prepared pan.

5.Bake for 33 to 35 minutes.

1 comment:

cindy said...

What a cutie! I'm on the waiting list for a labradoodle. We're aiming for a puppy that will grow to be about 35 pounds which is supposedly slightly below the "counter-surfing" size. We're looking to take home our bundle of joy (from a breeder in northern California) this summer :)

Keep the Integrity of the Bean, 2009-present. Unauthorized use of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that credit is given to "Keep the Integrity of the Bean" with appropriate direction to the original content.