Pages

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Gluten-Free, Corn-free Strawberry Lemon Tarts

Some of you may remember my post on Key Lime Pies. Some of you may not. However, since posting that recipe I have come across some . . . difficulties. I tried changing the flavor to make strawberry cream pies, orangesicle cream pie, and chocolate cream pies. I have been successful with all of them, but boy was it difficult! So I thought I would share my misfortunes with you all so you can learn from my mistakes.

  1. This is not a dairy free recipe. Sorry! However this recipe needs citrus juice to react with the sweetened condensed milk, otherwise the filling is too thin and runs out of the English muffin ring.This ends up in the filling burning, the sugar caramelizing, and the pie tasting like carcinogens. Yuck.
  2. Don't bake the pies too long. Bake only until the filling is set (or doesn't jiggle when shaken), and when a butter knife inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
  3. Don't press too much of the tart crust into the rings, if you do you won't have enough filling.
I am having some lighting/camera issues, so I will post pictures of this recipe sometime in the next couple of days.

Strawberry Lemon Tarts
For the crust recipe, refer back to my post on Gluten-free Lime Tarts.
For the strawberry Lemon tart filling:

1/4 C. Strawberry Puree
1/4 C. Lemon Juice
3 Organic Free Range Egg Yolks
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
  1. Whip egg yolks until light. Add puree and lemon juice, whip together.
  2. Pour in sweetened condensed milk, and mix until thick.
  3. Pour into pre-baked tart rings. 

1 comment:

Liver Detox Diets said...

Try try again. Mistakes always make it better when you get it right.

Keep the Integrity of the Bean, 2009-present. Unauthorized use of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that credit is given to "Keep the Integrity of the Bean" with appropriate direction to the original content.