Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hamburger Buns

For a while there, it actually felt like summer. It really did, but now it's cold and rainy and dreary and dark.

 
I hate being betrayed by my own weather. Oh well. April showers bring may flowers, right?

 
I even had a summer recipe all sset up to share with you. Hey, maybe you would like to see it anyway?
Okay, well the other day I was watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on Food Network. Oh my goodness. This is one of the few shows that when I watch it, drool pools in my mouth. You ever had that happen? Of  course most of the food is soooo bad for you! Always deep fried, smothered in cheese, and served with fries. Oh god. Your head is screaming "Don't eat that!", but your stomachs saying "Please! Just a bite!!!". The episodes that really get me are the pancake and burger episodes.

 
Burgers are my achilles heel. Anyhow, the episode had burgers from a restraunt in Long Beach, California. The burgers were so juicy and smothered in things like grilled pineapple, that they literally dripped down the patrons hands. So now my plan is that once it warms up I am going to make burgers like that, including the grilled pineapple! But first lets talk about the bun. Gluten Free Hamburger buns are pretty much disgusting, especially the store bought ones. They are all hard and dry, and are only palatable if you toast them. Well, I have discovered a recipe for hamburger buns that are a vast improvement over those hard things.

 
 
 
Gluten-free Hamburger Buns

 
4 C. White Rice Flour
2 C. Tapioca Flour
1/2 C. Sugar
7 tsps Xanthan
2 tsps Salt
3 Tbs Yeast
3 1/2 C. Warm water
1/2 c. Olive Oil
2 tsp Rice Vinegar
6 eggs
  1. Add all the dry ingredients except the yeast a stand mixer. Blend together. Pour the yeast in on top.
  2. Add the warm water and let sit for 5 minutes.
  3. Add the oil, vinegar, and eggs.  Mix on high 5 minutes.
  4. Scoop into english muffin rings or rings made out of aluminum foil. I like to use a large ice cream scoop to do this.
  5. Let rise on your oven for 30 minutes.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Makes 15 hamburger buns.

1 comment:

missa said...

Thank you Jillian for your post!!! I have made this recipe twice and it works perfect for french dip, hamburgers and hot dogs.
I used a mixture of flax, sorghum and almond meal for 1 cup of the rice flour and used apple cider vinegar instead of rice vinegar and the buns turned out wonderful!!!

Keep the Integrity of the Bean, 2009-present. Unauthorized use of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that credit is given to "Keep the Integrity of the Bean" with appropriate direction to the original content.