Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Oh yeah! And . . . it's gluten free!


Oh yeah! And . . . it's gluten free!

This is what I hope to hear any time I make something. This is what my mom says when something is truly good. There is also a little dance that goes along with it, something like the hokey-pokey but not quite. I love it. It makes me want to do a dance!
Tonight I made Shawna and the Chef's (over at Gluten Free Girl.) Salisbury Steak, Beef Gravy, and mashed cauliflower. My mom LOVED it. Its been about 2 years since shes had gravy so she was lapping it up.

I love making gravy. It's like magic. You take homemade stock, as thin as water, add some roux . . . BAD DA BOOM . . . you have thick, delicious gravy! Like I said. Magic.

My mom has always told me stories from her childhood. She comes from a family of Texans, who now live in Southern California. The stories have always fascinated me. Probably because they always were of something so incredibly different then what I knew. The other day my mom was telling me that her grandmother used to make her Date-Nut bread in a can.

"In a can??" I said.

"Yeah, she'd bake it in a cleaned out tin can."

So I decided to make her Date-Nut Bread. Just . . .no nuts.


Date Bread
1 cup dates, chopped
1 cup brown sugar, measure firmly packed
1 1/4 cups water
80 g Spectrum Organic Shortening
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (I omitted this)
1 cup Sorghum Flour
1 cup Tapioca Starch Flour
4 tsps baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Spray or butter 1 standard loaf pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the date, shortening, sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar and shortening have melted. Bring to boiling point and then remove
from the heat. Let cool.

Stir everything else into the date mixture.

Pour into pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.

Let cool before slicing.

As a variation you can use pecans or macadamia nuts instead of the pecans.

And hey if you want to bake it in a can, go ahead. It's the same baking time. just make sure the lid is tight

No comments:

Keep the Integrity of the Bean, 2009-present. Unauthorized use of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that credit is given to "Keep the Integrity of the Bean" with appropriate direction to the original content.