Okay, I know I am a little late to the party. I know. I feel bad, I do. But better late than never.
Yesterday, Shauna over at Gluten-free Girl hosted a Pie Party. Something like a thousand people all made pies before July 5th. I meant to make a pie, but it just got to blasting hot to run the oven. So I made one today.
A savory pie.
A pot pie.
A homemade venison sausage, Lima bean, and Parmesan bechemel pot pie.
Gluten-free, Soy-free, Corn-free Pot Pie
Makes 6 pot pies
1 lb Sausage of your choosing
1 lb baby Lima beans, cooked
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs Sweet White Rice Flour
2 C. Low fat Milk, warmed
1/4 C. Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 C. Brown Rice Flour
1/2 C. Tapioca Flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 C. Spectrum Organic Shortening
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Tbs Ice Water
1. In a food processor, combine the flours, xanthan gum, and salt. Add the shortening and pulse until baked bean sized crumbles form.
2. In a bowl whisk to combine the egg, vinegar and water.
3. Add to the food processor and pulse until a dough forms.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Cook sausage and Lima beans. Divide evenly between 6 ramekins or crocs whatever your using for your pot pies.
6. Melt butter in a pan. Add the flour, and cook until the roux starts to yellow. Add the milk, and whisk until thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Melt the Parmesan into the bechemel. Divide the bechemel between the pot pies.
8. Roll the pie dough out and cover and crimp each pot pie.
9. Brush with egg yolk and bake for 25 minutes.