I don't know about you, but I am always looking for new ways to eat quinoa.
Yes, it is very healthy for you. Yes, it's a power grain from the Aztecs. And yes, it has a ton of protein. But, at the same time, you can only eat it dry so many times. This delicious recipe came about through a cooking mistake.
These would be great as a side to pork chops, steak, or breaded baked chicken. Plus, in comparison WAY lower in calories then any kind of macaroni and cheese I've ever seen. You also receive all the health benefits of quinoa.
Quinoa Crac an Cheese
2 1/2 C. Water
1 C. Quinoa
1 1/2 tsp Salt
Fresh ground Black Pepper
2 C. Cheddar Cheese
1/2 C. Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/4 C. Cooked crumbled Bacon, optional
1. Bring water to boil in a large saucepan.
2. Add 1/4 tsp salt and quinoa. Cover, and lower to a simmer. Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until most of the moisture is gone and quinoa is completely broken down.
3. Remove from heat and add rest of salt, pepper, cheeses, and if using, bacon.
4. Stir until completely combined, and all cheese is melted.
5. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Serve warm. The Crac' an Cheese refrigerates and reheats well.