Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Gluten-free Pound Cake

The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the air is warm. What does that mean? It means that daylight saving time is over!! Hooray! Lets jump for joy!

For most of the US (except Arizona and Hawaii) we have suffered these past months. Dark afternoons and dreary mornings, but not anymore. Now is the beginning of spring. Even if some of you out there can't see it or feel it yet, you will. I promise, and once you do, your going to want to make this dessert.

Years ago, my mom used to make this trifle with pound cake and Jell-O Instant Pudding. Oh my goodness. I loved it. Everytime I have it, I think of Summer. Nowadays, however, we of course can't have gluten, so I searched for a gluten free pund cake recipe. I searched and searched and baked and baked. Nothing worked. The cake was either too dry, or too flat, or it fell in the middle. Then, one day I made cinnamon bread with a recipe I found on a really obscure little site. I had to add an egg and change some other stuff, but once I did it turned out amazing! The bread-part tasted like an old-fashioned donut.  I decided to try to make a pound cake out of the bread. Now we can recreate my most favorite dessert without gluten. Yes!

This dessert is not Dairy-free. Sorry, but if you are not allergic to Lactose, you can layer this with Kozy shack pudding which is Gluten and soy free.



Gluten-free Buttery Pound Cake
Dry ingredients:
2 c. Brown Rice Flour
1 c. Tapioca Starch Flour
3 tsp Xanthan Gum
3 c. Sugar
4 tsp Corn-free Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt

Wet ingredients:
1/2 c. Canola Oil
1 c. Fat Free Milk
2 eggs, cage-free organic
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Imitation Butter Flavoring

  1. Combine the dry ingredients.
  2. Combine the wet
  3. Add the wet to the dry and mix weel with a wooden spoon. This batter will be very thick.
  4. Pour into a bread pan sprayed with cooking spray.*
  5. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes. After 30 minutes cover with tin foil if you don't like it very dark.
*Most cooking sprays contain soybean oil. I use Pam Grilling spray which only has canola oil.

We layer this with strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries.

For the pudding:

Prepare Jell-O Instant Sugar-free Pudding as directed. Then mix with half a container of Cool whip.

Layer pudding, pound cake, and berries. Here is what ours looks like:




Check this and other recipes out at Gluten free Homemaker.

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a great idea. It looks delicious. Thanks for participating in the cake challenge.

Keep the Integrity of the Bean, 2009-present. Unauthorized use of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that credit is given to "Keep the Integrity of the Bean" with appropriate direction to the original content.